Who invented Trash Polka?
Volker Merschky and Simone Pfaff
Art Exhibition For Trash Polka
- Museum of Contemporary Art, Rome ‘Tattoo Forever’ 2 June – 24 July 2016
- Museum of Art and Business, Hamburg 13 February – 6 September 2015
- Art gallery, Fürth 10 October – 8 November 2015
- Somerset House, London ‘Time: Tattoo Art Today’ 3 July – 5 October 2014
- Academy of Würzburg/Schweinfurt Faculty of Design ‘ Trash Polka’ 17 June – 9 July 2014
- Museum Villa Rot, Stuttgart ‘Gestochen Scharf’ 24 March – 28 July 2013
- Gallery 59 / rue de Rivoli, Paris ‘Menschenkinder’ 13–25 September 2011
Simone and Volko Merschy created this style of painterly dynamic tattooing for the Buena Vista tattoo club in Germany. Their unique mix of realism and surrealism script and abstract lines helped them become famous. Additionally, the artists combined bold and fine black lines with gray shading and dramatic red splatters. Accordingly, the tattoo does not make much sense and appears like a collage of totally unrelated elements.
With their bold style and black and red ink, the tattoos have the appearance of being just finished. In spite of the impressive contrast and visual appeal, these tattoos age remarkably well when done properly. It is not easy to create such chaos if you don’t have a relatively large canvas to work with.
Trash Polka tattoos are unique because you can only obtain them directly from the artist who made them. Failing to obtain them directly from the artist would be an attempt to forge them. It is harder to find an artist who will work with custom images since original maestros only use their own pictures.
We have compiled a list of the top ten Trash Polka tattoos. This is a collection of exquisite and true works of art.