Dogs who ate bees and regretted it
Naturally, after a dog is stung by a bee, it is important to treat the wound and keep our furry friends comfortable. However, a funny photo is all that remains after the vet has been called and the peanut butter-slathered Benadryl has been administered.
It was a hard lesson for these sweet dogs to learn that bees are not food, and their owners captured the moment on camera.
Is there a reason why dogs get stung by bees?
A lot of dog owners have a problem with their pets chasing bees in the garden.
They are curious! It is natural for dogs’ noses and the fuzzy-yet-pointy butts of bees to mix when the weather is warm and flowers are blooming. It is no big deal for some dogs to be stung by bees. For dogs with allergies, crossing a bee’s path is anything but sweet.
Take a second to check your dog over if she suddenly swipes or rubs her face, or if she suddenly bites or licks her paws.
Call your veterinarian if your dog exhibits any of the following symptoms after being stung by a bee.
- abnormal swelling
- difficulty breathing
- difficulty swallowing
- dizzy or stumbling
How to treat dog bee stings
Use a credit card or your fingernail to scrape the stinger from the skin. The sooner you remove the stinger, the less chance your dog has of being injected with venom.
Make a paste of baking soda and water to soothe bee stings. Additionally, a cool bath infused with soothing oatmeal may help. Make flour out of rolled oats by pulsing them in a food processor or blender and sprinkling it into the bathwater.
When your dog is having a severe allergic reaction, a corticosteroid injection and Benadryl may help reduce inflammation.
Check Out These popular dog breeds
The following photos show dogs that were stung by bees