A healthy diet can speed up the recovery
Be it any condition, a healthy diet is a road to fast recovery. Watch this video for some quick and easy recipes to help you recover from High Blood Pressure!
High Blood Pressure
The heart pumps the blood through the arteries to various parts of the body. For a smooth blood flow, a certain amount of pressure is exerted by the blood on the arterial walls. The normal pressure is 120/80 mm of Hg. When the pressure goes above this limit and stays high for a long period of time, it is called high blood pressure or hypertension.
Food groups to consume in high blood pressure:
1. Calcium: It contracts & dilates heart muscle and makes blood
Foods to consume: Milk, tofu & yogurt
2. Potassium: Balances excess water in body and lowers blood
Foods to consume: Coconut water, fruits like bananas, dates, oranges, pomegranate, figs, mangoes, muskmelon & vegetables like broccoli, tomatoes, potatoes, beetroot, and bell peppers
3. Magnesium: Relaxes muscles that controls blood vessels
Foods to consume: Almonds, walnuts, barley, spinach, pumpkin seeds & sunflower seeds
4. Omega 3: Improves blood circulation
Foods to consume: Fish & flax seeds
Recipes based on the above food groups:
Recipe 1: Melon coconut cooler
1. Take ½ muskmelon & 2 oranges
2. Remove the juice of muskmelon & oranges
3. Add to it water from 1 tender coconut
4. Add some black salt for taste
5. Garnish this with freshly chopped mint leaves
6. Have this chilled
Recipe 2: Salad
1. We are going to slice ½ red, yellow & green bell peppers.
2. Chop a tomato into small pieces
3. Also, peel and chop ½ a cucumber
4. Mix these in a bowl
5. Add some low sodium salt, oregano, chilli flakes for taste
6. I am going to add about 2 tsp lemon juice
7. Toss this well
• Use low sodium salt
• Avoid processed & packaged food
The above recipes have been developed in consultation with a nutritionist. However, these are not intended as a substitute for the medical advice of a trained health professional. All matters regarding your health require medical supervision. Consult your physician before adopting the suggestions in this video, as well as about any condition that may require diagnosis or medical attention.