How to improve digestion naturally. Foods that help digestion. Many people suffer from digestive problems like bloating, cramping, gas, abdominal pain, diarrhea and constipation for a variety of reasons. However, even a healthy person can experience digestive problems due to things such as a lack of fibre or probiotic-rich foods in their diet.
Here are the 8 best foods to improve your digestion.
1. Yogurt: Yogurt contains friendly bacteria known as probiotics, which are good bacteria that live in your digestive tract and can help improve digestion. While probiotics naturally occur in your gut, boosting your intake through foods like yogurt can ease digestion.
2. Apples: Apples are a rich source of pectin, a soluble fibre. Pectin bypasses digestion in your small intestine and is then broken down by the friendly bacteria in your colon.
3. Chia Seeds: Chia Seeds work like a prebiotic, supporting the growth of healthy bacteria in your gut and therein contributing to healthy digestion.
4. Papaya: The luscious tropical fruit papaya contains a digestive enzyme called papain. Papain may ease symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, such as constipation and bloat.
5. Ginger: Ginger is a traditional ingredient in Eastern medicine that helps improve digestion and prevent nausea.
6. Kefir: Kefir consumption has been associated with decreased inflammation in your gut, further enhancing the digestion process.
7. Whole Grains: Popular fibre-packed whole grains include oats, quinoa, farro and products made from whole wheat. The fibre found in these grains can help improve digestion.
8. Dark Green Vegetables: Green vegetables are an excellent source of insoluble fibre. Some of the most common dark green vegetables that provide this benefit are spinach, Brussels sprouts, broccoli and other leafy greens.
Disclaimer: None of the information on our videos is a substitute for a diagnosis and treatment by your health professional. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified health provider prior to starting any new diet or treatment.